"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

when life hands you lemons. make lemon meringue. Part 1.

*Pre posting note: learning spanish has made me lazy with English. So bare with me with the many grammar/spelling errors that fill (and have filled up) my blog. 
This blog begins with a story... At the end of October we had a week off of school. As all my friends from my program were making their exciting plans to travel around Italy, I was at a loss of what to do. Being that I am traveling to Itlay  later (with some amazing people from the CO). I knew that I was going to travel this week long trip SOLO. I've always been curious as how a trip solo would go... so I took the opportunity. I scoured the internet for an inexpensive flight from madrid and was drawn into a town called fuertaventura. After a bit of research I booked a ticket to none other than an island in the canary islands...

These islands are located off the coast of Africa.!!!  The temperate weather, unique location and lure of an adventure waiting to happen I booked a flight. I spent three days amongst the beaches and other northern travelers (this is a hot spot for when northern Europeans want to escape the cold). It seriously was a bunch of Nordic families and me. :) I would read next to a Swedish person, a Norwegian family, some Irish travelers and the English. Sitting by the pool was a cultural experience. 



There were no hostels on the island so I found a great
 deal on a hotel...
Two days before I left they called and told me that they messed up and bumped me up to a suite...


All this when I am flying solo..

Bed # 1 of 2.

Chillin by one of the pools.



The beach was a 2 minute walk.

Hello beach








Alternative Band at a free rock concert

The town I stayed in was an old fishing village.. Corelejo

Amazing Beach Side Sandwich Cafe.

Add caption

Beach + Reading = Lovely

The beauty of sitting and watching the ocean

Cycle Tour: Across the 5 Volcanoes of Fuertaventura


We cycled around the Islands 5 volcanoes and hiked up the last one.

The whole gang... met a friendly family from Derbishire, England.


The trip was incredible. I read a whole book, explored the town, met great northern Europeans and enjoyed some rays. Traveling alone is a unique experience. I am glad I experienced it, but was looking forward to the second part of the week... a trip back to Ireland to visit Lindsey. Although it was hectic getting there- a costly cab ride, being mistaken for a drug dealer in the airport, and a 3 am bus ride to Belfast from Dublin... it was worth the trek! More to come later... besos

No comments:

Post a Comment