"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen

Friday, September 10, 2010

A Lucky, Lucky Irish Experience

Hasta Lluego Slane

Well friends and family, the farming part of this trip has now ended. It wasn't exactly what I imagined it to be, but it was an experience I will never forget.The Mount Charles family were incredible hosts and co-farmers. Watching Olivia debate... er help design the goat shed with two Italians who barely spoke English as well as Irish dancing on top of the dirt in the pig trough were moments I will take with me. I will miss the communal lunches and warm Irish sun. I'd like to say that I had some great revelation about organic farming and the importance of sustainable farming for the health of the world, but unfortunately I have none. At least from this adventure. It was simply a great experience.
*Aha the fact that we took pictures shows how 'farmy' we really are


Back to the Island...





*Note: if you haven't yet heard the Jimmy Buffet song... it is worth the 3.2 minuets! Just click here
Good 'old Jimmy

Finally, I was able to experience Ireland like a tourist. The flavorful smell of the farm was still trailing behind us as we decided to embrace civilization. We spent two days in the City of Galway on the western Coast of Ireland, I call it the San Diego of Ireland. It has same low-key, beach town feel of San Diego. Lindsey, Liv and I went on the trip with some new friends from Italy via wwoofing, Guliano and Lucas. I called it the wwoof family adventure... I even introduced the 'group hug'.


We spent one night enjoying the charming streets of Galway and the following day we took a ferry to the Aran Islands off of Galway's coast. I am surprised we didn't find a four leaf clover because luck was on our side. From barely arriving in time for many buses (we sweet talked our way onto one) to enjoying one of the cloudiest countries with clear blue skies, we found that Ireland truly is lucky. We rented bicycles and trekked along the coast to cliffs and ruins along the Island. The Aran Islands deserve to belong in a Jimmy Buffet song. Although the temperature is not that of the Florida keys, its atmosphere and scenic ocean views drip with the beat of island coastal music. I wish I could describe what a surreal experience it was to cycle around the island with these people. I will let the pictures explain the rest...


Linds Liv and I en route to Galway

Galway



What a doozy


On the ferry ride


Adios Ireland y hola Madrid! Update on Spain to come:)

No comments:

Post a Comment