"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen

Friday, September 17, 2010

Madrid: And So It Begins...

Grafiti writers of Madrid were rooting me on...

Go get 'em tiger

Play time is now over... it is time to go to school and learn. I've been in Madrid for over two weeks ...

*let me just take a second to tell you eeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkk. I love that last sentence.

Madrid is a booming city. It is so full of life. Classic and modern art is everywhere. Intricate gardens and parks come out of no where in this concrete jungle. Men and women are always around, walking in their finest. No sweats or work out clothes allowed. The clink of dishes at tapas bars as well as American pop music seep out the the little shops and into the streets combining with spanish chatter and speeding cars. Spaniards are always out until all hours of the night! It is quite a change in pace from the suburb city of Arvada in which I grew up.
Museo del Prado- home to some of the most classic pieces of art



The first night I realized how much of a spanish novice I am. I arrived in Spain a day too early, so I stayed in a hostel by myself. I must of said but a few words to the hostel worker who checked me in. Intimidated by being in a foreign country where people speak so incredibly fast with an accent that was difficult to understand, I stood in from of her and sheepishly smiled as I pointed to my confirmation number. She smiled and then didn't say another word to me, but handed me my key card. I wonder how often that happens to her. After dropping off my suitcases I walked around Madrid and  strode into to the Plaza del Sol. THE city center. Legit. I happened upon a futbol celebration. The plaza was filled with red and white. Quite the welcome:)

For the first few days we had orientation into class and into living in Spain.We went of walking tours of Madrid and of the castle that resides in the city center. It gave me a little taste of what the next four months living here will be like.

One of the three Castles of Madrid

La Universidad

Two weeks into class and I have already learned all that I was taught in Spanish 201 in high school. I am loving it. I've quickly adapted to hearing spanish all around me, it takes me off guard when I hear a stranger speak in English. I often strain my ears to eavesdrop on people on the metro... I am waiting for the day when I can completely understand the seemingly intense conversations that occur at 9 in the morning (creepy?... nope, more like educational). On top of spanish, I am taking a photography class. My professor is a woman from the United States who moved to Spain 20 years ago and currently is a freelance gallery opener as well as a professor. It is my goal to hear more of her story before the end of the semester, she seems like one of those people who is teeming with wisdom from all her life experiences. We already have a few projects in the works... stay tuned for some photos.

First of many awkward self-takes. These are for you family and friends.
University Rey Juan Carlos (the name of the King... good thing I have class to inform me of such things)

Cafe con Leche

Habitacion

As I begin to truly embrace the life of tapas, flamenco dancing and futbol, all I want to say about my experience so far is... I am thankful. Each time I walk to my apartment, which is 10 minuets away (via metro) from the CITY CENTER of Madrid, I often stop and drink it it. I live with two other girls from the US, Gina and Lindsey. Both are full of spunk and fun to live with. Gina is a very proud Northern Californian. :) I am going to start a Gina dictionary because I learn new NorCal slag every day (like 'hot-minuet' and 'getting mugged'). Lindsey is full of spunk from Austin, Texas. Her distinct red hair, love for good food and full conversations are great mediums in which we all get along and enjoy each other. The best part of our flat is the kitchen. A woman from the program has already given me some spanish recipes and I can't wait to get cookin'.

Gina, Lindsey and me in the Plaza del Sol.
The walking steet in front of our flat
Metro

Intro part I. Much much more to come. Adios for now

1 comment:

  1. Muy Bien! Tu escribir magnifico!
    Su Mamacita

    ReplyDelete