"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power." -Alan Cohen

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Thanksgiving in Madrid...

On my way to my friend's house to cook the pavo in a bigger oven...
One of the downsides to study abroad is not being with your family on certain holidays. However, one good side is being able to share holiday traditions with others. Although I missed by family, I experienced quite a unique Thanksgiving that I will never forget. With the help of some ingredients my mom brought to Madrid from the US (as well as years of experience cooking for 30 people), my roommates and I cooked a full on thanksgiving dinner (Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and all) and invited our curious Spanish friends over to take part in the uniquely American Pilgrim/Indian tradition. There were many funny moments (traveling with a 12lb turkey on the metro), fitting 30 people into our tiny apartment, trying to explain stuffing in spanish... but all in all it was a great celebration of being thankful. Enjoy the pictures...
How did this all come together... I will never know...

Roomies



It begins...

The beginnings of stuffing

Jose, Jorge, y Rodrigo

Friends from my Church


YUM

Quite the cocinera

Patty, me and Crystal








What way to better end a thanksgiving celebration than country line dancing?

1 comment:

  1. I think you definately brought some American Culture to Madrid--at least they know what Thanksgiving is now!! (and what stuffing is--it is kind of strange when you think about it)

    ReplyDelete